Thursday, September 11, 2014

Life on the Road

This week is a little crazy over here.
I worked all day Monday and on my way home, my Dad called to say to pack my bags and get ready to leave.  We had to be in Cleveland Tuesday and Wednesday, then head to Cincinnati, where we had a meeting Thursday morning, and then I am currently on my way to Pittsburgh, where we have a meeting tomorrow morning.  4 different hotels and 4 different cities in 5 days.

I am coming upon my 2 year anniversary at my job, and there are some things I have learned that make life on the road a lot easier.

1.  An unbelievably supportive husband
While it is not easy being on the road, it is also not easy to be on the other end.  I can't help with househould stuff, I can't help feed the dogs, I can't let the dogs out in the middle of the night, I can't take our the garbage, I can't do laundry.  Ryan has never complained.  While I don't plan on traveling forever, I am putting in my time now, and he understands that.  I can't imagine going home and feeling guilty about having to travel for work. I am missing Baine's vet appointment as I am typing this.

2.  Books on tape
Of course not really on tape anymore, but I love listening to books on long trips.  There is only so much music to listen to when you're in the care for more than 2 hours at a time.  I really like listening to sales books when I am going on sales calls because it gets me all jazzed up.  I can use the things I learn right away.  There are times though I want to listen to a sappy Nicholas Spark's book.  I am going to try out http://www.booksfree.com/, which is like Netflix for audiobooks.  They have a huge library, and it is nice because I get bored sometimes with listening to the same books over and over.  Review to come!

3. A good rewards program
I really enjoy staying at Marriotts.  With all of the points I have racked up, we stayed at a gorgeous Marriott in Seattle for free on our honeymoon.  We also used some for our hotel in LA, which was beautiful.  Marriott may not be the best program, but just being able to add the points up is nice.  If there isn't a Marriott that's available, I like to use hotel.com because you get 1 free night after you book 10 nights.

4. A wireless hotspot
You never know what kind of wireless availability is out there, so my hotspot is the best $10 a month I spend.  I use it on my sales calls all the time, and I can also do work at rest stops while eating my lunch.  When I originally started, I tried using my phone as my hot spot, but it was not great.  The connection was slow, if anyone tries calling you it messes it up, and you just do a lot of waiting around.  4G is the way to go.  I am on it right now, as my dad drives and I type.

5.  Good luggage
I felt really old a couple years ago when I asked for luggage for my birthday, but it was worth it.  It is a unique pattern so I can spot it quickly at the airport, it is really durable, and makes life easier.  I also have all my travel stuff (toothbrush, deodorant, toothpaste, body wash, so on) that I have in nice small bags that are easy to grab and go.

6. Two of everything.
In my separate smalls bags, I have a toothbrush, deodorant, toothpaste, body wash, mouth wash, things like that.  I don't like having to worry about if I packed everything, so I just have travel bags that I keep second sets of all that fun stuff.

7.  Extra clothes.
Sometimes my trips are 2 or 3 days.  If i am just driving to the area one day and driving back the next, I used to only bring 1 pair of pants, and then 2 shirts that go with those pants.  Until the day I spilled coffee ALL over my pants.  Can't really wear those to my meeting.  I also made that mistake when I got snowed in.  I brought just enough pairs of socks for the days I was there, not knowing I was going to be stuck there for an extra day.  It is always worth the extra room for these mishaps.

8.  An open mind
When I first started traveling I hated being out in public all the time alone.  I would get my dinner to go because I hated dining alone.  I got over that.  Now I sit at the bar typically and make friends with the other salesmen that are doing the same thing I am doing.  I have met some really interesting people.  I also went to a Caveliers game alone.  Would I rather be there with someone else?  Of course.  I am glad that I got to see Lebron play and it was better than watching it in my hotel room alone.  It also gives me time to think about life a little deeper.  I am not caught up in day to day things and can just reflect, which is nice.

What are your things you HAVE to travel with?



No comments:

Post a Comment