Tuesday, June 30, 2015

My Experience with Pregnancy and Crossfit

I have had mixed reviews when I tell people that I have continued to work out, especially when I mention that I am doing crossfit, throughout my pregnancy.
A lot of people are very supportive and talk about how great it is for me and the baby.
There are others who are very opposed to me doing or lifting much of anything.  It seems to differ based on their generation.
While I know it is all out of love, it can get to be a little much to have people questioning everything that I am doing.

There are so many women who do so much while pregnant.  My Mom was raising 4 other children and working while she was pregnant with my brother.  All I can do is listen to my body and my doctor.

One of the first people I told when I found out I was pregnant was an owner of the gym.  She is also a PA, so she was a perfect person to talk to.  She could give me some guidelines before I saw my doctor (on top of the endless research that I was doing).
The general guidelines I have been following from my doctor and listening to my body are
- I am not lifting anything heavier than 35 lbs
- Since I have started me second trimester, I have not done workouts on my back
- Throughout my work out, I should be able to have a conversation

For all of you crossfitters, you know what it is like during a work out.  If you can talk after a lot of the workouts, you weren't pushing yourself enough.
It definitely wasn't easy to scale back my work outs, especially in the beginning.  I was feeling great and right before I found out that I was pregnant, I was hitting a lot of PR's.  There have been a lot of work outs that my trainer has had to change for me.  For example, a heavy dead lift workout doesn't do a whole lot for me when I am only lifting 35 lbs.
(Murph 2015)
That is what I love about my box though.  Everyone has been so supportive and the trainer has gone above and beyond to make sure I am getting a great work out in but am also being safe.

I have felt great throughout the pregnancy, and I believe part of that is being able to stay active throughout.  I feel very grateful that my body has reacted so well to pregnancy.  It is really funny when people ask me how I am feeling.  In reality, I have never felt better.  I am conscious about what I am putting into my body, I have been getting up early to go to the gym, going to bed early, eating very healthy, and just overall feel great.

Working out is getting harder and harder.  Getting up and down takes a lot more effort, burpees are not my friend, but it feels great to throw around a barbell.  I get winded quickly, but feel awesome that I am able to do something.

I am interested to see what the rest of the pregnancy will bring, as of next week I am in my third trimester!  I am excited to see how my body reacts after.  I can't wait to throw around heavy weights again, (after I get some rest) and see what my body can do!



(this was earlier this week)

No comments:

Post a Comment